History of Conservation Districts
The 1930’s Dust Bowl disaster spurred the United States Congress to declare soil and water conservation a national policy and priority in 1935; with the intent, to elicit the active support of landowners on a local level. Soil and water conservation districts serve as a liaison between federal government and local landowners in order to address local conservation needs. Currently, there are over 3,000 soil and water conservation districts throughout the United States. It is through these local districts that the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, formerly known as the Soil Erosion Service and later the Soil Conservation Service, promotes natural resource conservation at the local level.
In 1937, Florida Legislature passed Florida Statutes, Chapter 582, also known as the Soil and Water Conservation Law. Click here to read Chapter 582
Association of Florida Conservation Districts
Local soil and water conservation districts depend on the Association of Florida Conservation District (AFCD) and the National Association of Florida Conservation Districts for leadership and coordination in natural resource conservation endeavors. Both agencies are nonprofit organizations. AFCD operates under the direction of its elected governing body and provides information and support services to soil and water conservation districts throughout the state.